The Hobbit Enjoys Record $84 Million Debut
The Hobbit made an expected trip to number one at the box office over the weekend.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opened in first place, earning an estimated 84.8 million dollars. That's a record debut for a December release, surpassing the 77.2 million raised by the Will Smith movie I Am Legend during its opening weekend in 2007.
The total also represents the most successful debut of any film in the Lord of the Rings franchise. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first of three prequels from Peter Jackson, and is screening in 3D.
Last week's box office champ, Skyfall, fell all the way to fourth place, with seven million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday, December 14th, through Sunday, December 16th, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, $84.8 million.
2. Rise of the Guardians, $7.4 million.
3. Lincoln, $7.2 million.
4. Skyfall, $7 million.
5. Life of Pi, $5.4 million.
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn -- Part 2, $5.2 million.
7. Wreck-It Ralph, $3.3 million.
8. Playing for Keeps, $3.2 million.
9. Red Dawn, $2.4 million.
10. Silver Linings Playbook, $2 million.
Provided by ABC News Radio